Ritual Simplicity: 5 Natural Beauty Rituals to Make You Look AND Feel Good
During week one of our #RitualSimplicity series, we shared 9 rituals to help you supercharge your day and live a happier life. Last week, we let you in on 7 of our favorite rituals to boost physical wellness & promote self-care. And now, it’s time to dive into all things natural and beautiful.
Looking your best doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. In fact, these 5 skin and hair rituals are designed to save you time and money while providing the utmost in indulgence.
1. Integrate Manuka Honey Into Your Skincare Routine
There’s a reason why Real Manuka Honey has become the latest skincare obsession. Revered by dermatologists for its ability to improve overall hydration and act as a natural astringent, this unique monofloral honey pairs perfectly with raw sugar to create a simple, yet effective pore refining exfoliant. Incorporate this into your beauty routine anytime your skin is feeling lackluster to give it a refreshing, healthy glow.
- Combine ½ cup Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey and ¼ cup raw sugar in a small bowl.
- Apply the mask on your face and neck, leave on for 20 minutes. Apply leftover ingredients to other areas of rough, dry skin.
- To remove the mask, use a warm wash cloth and gently rub in circular motions to exfoliate as you clean.
2. Adopt a Dry Brushing Regimen
Dry brushing is is a simple at-home routine to help increase circulation, stimulate and cleanse the lymphatic system, unclog pores, and remove dead skin cells. Incorporate it into your daily routine before jumping into the shower or bath to promote healthy, breathing skin.
Here’s the scoop on how to do it:
Using a firm, natural-bristle brush, spend 3-5 minutes dry brushing your entire body when your skin is completely dry. Starting from the feet, apply gentle, yet vigorous pressure; move the brush upwards in long, circular motions toward your heart until your skin appears pinkish red. Follow up with a cleansing Manuka Honey exfoliant (see #1) in the shower, then slather on a generous layer of coconut oil to hydrate and lock in moisture.
3. Nix Store-Bought Products in Favor of All Natural Ingredients
It seems like there are hundreds (if not thousands) of skincare products available to choose from these days. Unfortunately, many of these products are often packed with harsh chemicals that can potentially do more harm than good over the long-term. This year, commit to using natural household ingredients to achieve soft, radiant skin without all the unnecessary additives.
- Place a pot of water on the stove and heat until water begins to boil.
- Stand over the pot at a safe distance and allow the steam to open the pores for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in 2 tsp Manuka Honey and ½ tsp lemon juice into the mixing bowl and stir well. (*For sensitive skin types, aloe vera gel can be used in place of lemon juice.)
- Gently dab the honey-lemon mix over the face, being careful to avoid contact with the eyes.
- Let the mask sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the mask using a warm washcloth, then splash cold water over the face to close the pores.
4. Heal Your Hair with This Nourishing Homemade Mask
From harsh climates and hot water to excess heat from styling tools, it’s easy to see why hair is susceptible to breakage and damage. Fortunately, it’s easy to put the life back into your tresses by whipping up an all-natural Manuka Honey hair mask in the comfort of your own home.
Add 1 tbsp Comvita UMF™ 10+ Manuka Honey and 1-3 tbsp organic virgin coconut oil into a saucepan and heat on low until melted, routinely stirring to combine. Apply the warm mixture to wet or dry hair, concentrating on the ends. Let sit for 30 minutes, then rinse with your usual shampoo. (Note: You may need to wash twice to get the residue completely off your hair.)
5. Soothe Sensitive Skin in Just 3 Simple Steps
Due to its unique topical properties, Manuka Honey may help calm redness and soothe other minor skin irritations. Combat sensitive skin woes by mixing 1 tbsp with 2-3 drop of lavender essential oil; apply a thin layer to the face and let sit for 10 minutes before removing with warm water.