BeeConscious - Why Bees Are Essential to Our Survival
Bees plays a vital role in our daily lives, and for almost every ecosystem on the planet. Thankfully, these important pollinators have earned their own day - World Bee Day, May 20th - to raise awareness about why we need bees and how we can help delicate colonies thrive in a changing world. Here’s how you can Bee Conscious about why bees are essential to the Earth and how we live on it:
- Bees pollinate 30% of our global food supply.
- Bees maintain biodiverse, ecosystems all over the Earth.
- Bees make some of the world’s oldest medicines, helping support healthy immune response, digestion, wound treatment and beauty care.
- Bee populations in the US have declined by 30% every year*
- There are over 20,000 species of bees.
- The most nutrient-dense fruits, vegetables & nuts depend on bees.
- The first bees appeared ~120 Million years ago.
- 1 honeybee will make 1/2 teaspoon of honey in its life. One hive of 60,000 bees will make up to 60 lbs per year.
*source: Yale Environment 360, April 2013
Bee amazed, bee conscious, and bee a hero for the pollinators that bring us Manuka Honey, nature’s liquid gold. Join us in our month-long celebration of World Bee Day 2019, happening this May 20, and learn what you can do to support bee conservation. Follow @ComvitaUSA on Instagram, where we’re partnering with The Nature Conservancy to make the world more Bee-Friendly: for every Instagram post tagging #WeCanBeeHeroes posted in May, Comvita will donate $2 toward conservation, up to $10,000 (for photos posted between May 1 - 31). So join the @ComvitaUSA community, find inspiration from nature and help us raise consciousness for bees. We look forward to seeing your posts!